One of our favorite things to do in the summer is pick blueberries. But we don’t just pick a few berries and call it a day, we pick and pick and pick and pick until over the summer, we have picked hundreds of pounds collectively (as a big family). Each time we are in Chautauqua (most every summer weekend) and sometimes multiple times as weekend we head to the patch and fill our buckets giant, sweet berries.
After regularly stuffing our selves with berries, Anna decided we need to make some special blueberry bread with our berries. I thought it was a great idea. Looking back, I should have added spinach (like here and here). Who doesn’t love green bread? Next time.
Blueberry Protein Snack Cake
- 2 1/2 c. of low fat multigrain baking mix (Trader Joes or light Bisquick)
- 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp. ground flax
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- as many blueberries as you’d like! I use frozen blueberries we picked this summer.
- Mix bananas until smashed together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except berries), if mix is too stiff, add a little more almond milk.
- Stir to combine then add in blueberries.
- Put mixture into a 9×13, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown and done in the center (about 20-25 minutes).