This appetizer came together with things I had in the cupboard and fridge and may be on the top of my favorite appetizer list.
It’s simple to make.
It can be made ahead.
It doesn’t need to be served warm.
It’s moderately healthy.
It’s packed with flavor.
It has all of the qualities of a great appetizer.
And it can be served in mini phyllo cups for added crunch and easy eating.
Goat Cheese, Toasted Walnut, Arugula and Cranberry Bites
(this recipe made a little more than 30 cups)
- 2-4 oz. of crumbled goat cheese (1/2-whole small container from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 c. of chopped walnuts
- 2 c. of diced fresh arugula
- 3/4 c. dried cranberries
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- salt to taste on nuts
- 1 T. water
- 2 T. good balsamic vinegar
whole grain bread or phyllo cups
- In a small sauce pan, mix brown sugar and water and add walnuts and a sprinkle of salt. Cook on med. heat until sugar crystalizes on walnuts (8-10 minutes). Let cool and sugar will harden.
- Mix cooled nuts with diced arugula, cranberries and goat cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Add balsamic vinegar and serve in mini cups or on whole grain toasts!