Yesterday was a beautiful day in Columbus. We had sun and clouds and warm temperatures. Today is another story -rain, hail and freezing temps. Luckily we spent lots of time outside yesterday. We walked, played on Jasper’s slide and read books outside.
The blanket and books were very entertaining until Anna spotted the mulch. At that point she spent a good 30 minutes picking up each piece of mulch and sharing it with me. This game didn’t end until she decided she wanted to taste it.
While we read outside, we grilled veggies for dinner. I love grilled veggies! They are the perfect spring, summer and fall food! They have so many flavors and textures and they are totally customizable! For tonight’s dinner, I mixed them with quinoa (a complete protein). Anna loves quinoa and devoured this dish. She was not afraid of eating any of the veggies and she loved the texture of the quinoa.
Grilled Vegetable Quinoa
Use any veggies you like!
- zucchini, cubed
- onions, cubed
- mushrooms, cubed
- sweet potato, **(Cooked in the microwave until soft but still firm) then cubed
- asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- peppers, cut into cubes or strips
- 3 T. EVOO
- 3T. red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked as directed
- Place all cut veggies in a bowl and drizzle with EVOO and vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill veggies in a grill basket on medium heat until they are firm but cooked. Keep stirring to prevent some from being charred.
- Stir grilled veggies into cooked quinoa.
- Serve with a chilled glass of Riesling!! You could always drizzle with more EVOO and vinegar or top with feta!
I can’t wait for the leftovers. There are so many things you can do with grilled veggies, from salads to wraps or eating them plain!