Anna’s 4th birthday is quickly approaching. It’s so hard for me to believe that she is already going to be 4. That seems so much older than 3.
And with Anna turning 4, it won’t be long before Kate turns 1.
Time goes so fast.
But back to this fabulous slaw that I am going to make for Anna’s birthday dinner. We debated having a kid party and skipping the big family dinner party, but we decided that we would start the kid-only parties next year and celebrate on Good Friday with our families.
When planning the menu, I wanted something colorful and Spring-like, that could easily be made for 50 people.
That’s where this slaw comes in.
It’s a perfect addition to the chipotle pulled pork I am going to serve.
- 1 bag coleslaw mix, green cabbage/purple cabbage/carrots
- 1 mango, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp minced jalapeno pepper
- In a serving large bowl, combine the cabbage, mango and black beans. Mix gently to combine
- In a small bowl, mix together fresh lime juice, agave nectar (or honey), ground cumin, garlic and salt. While mixing constantly, slowly pour in the olive oil until combined.
- Add in cilantro and minced jalapeno.
- Mix avocado into the slaw right before serving.
- Drizzle two-thirds of the dressing over the slaw and toss gently to combine.
- Taste and add more dressing, if needed Serve.
Now that we have snow falling this morning, it’s crazy to think it was 80* two days ago!