This roasted squash orzo salad was way better than I thought it was going to be. When I was trying to think about what to have for a side dish to go with the fish I was making for John and Hallie, I knew I wanted to use butternut squash. After glancing at my produce drawer, I quickly saw I needed to use a few straggling summer squash and zucchini that I didn’t want to go bad. This is how the Triple Squash salad was born.
Warm Roasted Squash Orzo Salad with Feta
- 1 box of orzo, cooked according to directions
- 2 med. yellow squash, diced
- 2 med. zucchini, diced
- 1 4oz. container of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 lg. butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp (broken into 2 – 1 tsps.). all purpose spice mix (I LOVE Two Brother’s spice from Heinens)
- 2 T. EVOO
- salt and pepper
- Cook orzo according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 T. EVOO with all of the diced zucchini and summer squash. Simmer with 1 tsp (or more) of spice mix and until softened and golden brown.
- While yellow squash and zucchini are cooking, place the diced butternut squash on a cookie sheet with 1 T. EVOO and the rest of the spice mix. Make sure all squash is coated with EVOO and spice.
- Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes or until squash is roasted and soft.
- Mix butternut squash, zucchini and summer squash into the orzo.
- Add the container of feta and mix well.
- Serve warm!
This was one of Anna’s favorite meals lately!
Don’t forget, just a few more days:
Leave a comment on my 6 ingredient meal (Macadamia Crusted Wild Cod with Coconut Black Bean Brown Rice) for a chance to win a $100 giftcard from American Express