Just before having Allison and Heather over for dinner last night, Anna decided to empty the box of garbage bags. When I reached for the camera, she turned around and said “cheeeese” without even being prompted.
I was in the middle of making Roasted Vegetable Harvest grains to go with our salmon so I didn’t actually mind.
This dish was so easy and so colorful.
Roasted Vegetable Harvest Grains
Chop all of the veggies you have lying around.
- red peppers
- yellow peppers
- green peppers
- (you could also use butternut squash or sweet potatoes)
2. Marinate the veggies in a big drizzle of EVOO and red wine vinegar. Toss with tons of salt and pepper. (I don’t measure this step but I just make sure all the veggies have a little coat but there is hardly any oil at the bottom of my bowl.)
3. Spread veggies in a layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 for 30-40 min. or until soft (but not mushy) and roasted!
4. Make a package of Harvest Grains (Israeli couscous + red quinoa, and baby chickpeas) from Trader Joes according to the directions. Or you could make a big batch of quinoa, brown rice, orzo or bulgur.
5. When the veggies are done roasting, mix them while they are warm into the grain mix. Add salt and pepper and fresh parmesan cheese.
If you need to reheat this dish, I suggest you dribble a little water on it and microwave it. I reheated this in the oven last night and it dried out a little bit. It’s best when served fresh!
After dinner Anna had so much fun playing with Allison and Heather! I don’t know why I didn’t take more pictures!
I think she needs some new black heals for Christmas!
I am working on getting Heather’s amazing carrot cupcake recipe from her so I can share it!