Another busy and fun weekend at the lake and we are back to the daily grind. This week our daily grind consists of Vacation Bible School for Anna, doctor’s appt. for me, training, cooking and trying to catch up on computer work. Not too bad – especially since the sun hasn’t come out yet this week. Hopefully we will be able to squeeze a pool day in before it’s over.
We have also made a few trips to the grocery store. Trader Joe’s, Heinen’s and Target have all been part of our errands this week and our fridge is stocked with lots of fresh summer foods. My favorite being tomato, basil and mozzarella, as you know. I really can’t get enough of it. I am eating it for every meal.
I blame the baby.
Last week I made Caprese Salad with Grilled Chicken (which is one of my favorite easy dinners, ever) and this week I have been making these lentil bowls for lunches and dinners. Can’t get easier than this if you make a big pot of lentils at the beginning of the week.
Summer Lentil Bowl
*serves 1 – but I made large amounts of lentils + mushrooms to pull out of the fridge and use again
- 1/2 to 3/4 c. cooked lentils (cook as directed and make sure you don’t overcook them!)
- 1 med. tomato, diced
- 1 serving fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. fresh mushrooms (cooked in your favorite seasoning with a little evoo and water)
- bed of greens – I used fresh spinach, arugula and spring mix together
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cook a big batch of lentils so you can repeat this lunch to pack or throw together at home.
- Cook a few packs of sliced mushrooms so you have extra in the fridge.
- While those are cooking, dice everything up.
- Combine the tomato, basil and cheese with the lentils and mushrooms. Serve this mixture over the greens.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and dive in!
Then repeat for the entire week. 🙂