It’s hard to believe that Christmas is right around the corner. I don’t want it to come because I don’t want it to be over. It’s so much fun to prepare, shop for gifts, wrap and get excited to see family and friends!
Since I am running from teaching an interval class this morning to teaching spinning tonight, I will leave you with this simple and fresh appetizer. It’s easy to take to any holiday party because it doesn’t need to be warm.
Pesto Shrimp Bites
- 1 package of rye or pumpernickle little party bread – tiny loaf
- 1 package of fresh mozzarella
- a few tomatoes
- 1 package of shrimp, cooked with tails removed
- 3 -4 Tbsp. pesto
- small round cookie cutter that fits on bread
- small star cookie cutter
- With a small cookie cutter, make each piece of bread into a circle.
- Then, slice thin pieces of fresh mozzarella. Lay the slice on a cutting board and cut a small star out of the cheese. Repeat until you have enough cheese for each piece of bread.
- Slice your tomatoes into small rounds.
- Meanwhile, mix the pesto with the cooked shrimp to coat it in a layer of green.
- To assemble: Lay a circle of bread on your platter. Next, dap a little pesto on the bread and add the star of cheese. Put the slice of tomato on top of the cheese. Top each little stack with a pesto covered shrimp!
- Serve for a fun red and green appetizer!
- Other variations: broil the bread with a little pesto to make it more like a cracker, melt the cheese on the bread, or skip the bread and layer on a fresh basil leaf and drizzle with pesto! Oh the possibilities!
Not so well positioned iPhone photo:
On a side note:
How is your Christmas shopping going? We are getting closer but still working on the parents. I think they are always the hardest!
Tonight: Homemade gift idea for neighbors and friends!
Wow, those are beautiful! My iPhone photos never turn out that well (nor, I suppose do my kitchen creations!). Thanks for a deliciously simple appetizer recipe!