For years I have been ripping recipes out of magazines and saving them to try. Lots of times they would get stuck in a cookbook and put away in the bookshelf, never to be made. Lately though, I have been using the recipes I find in my menu plans! Having a menu plan makes everything easier and gets me to use my new recipes.
This week I made two new Cooking Light recipes. Both were pretty successful, I thought. The dinner I made last night was like a burst of color in our white world! Had I realized we were going to be in the middle of a blizzard during dinner, I would have made soup and fresh bread, but I didn’t. Try this recipe for something fresh and raw when most things are cooked this time of year!
I had pitas planned to go with this dinner, but after seeing Ashley’s beautiful wraps this week I decided to try that! I got some organic rainbow swiss chard to wrap my salad in. It was so pretty!
I am excited to make this recipe again when it gets closer to spring or when I need a little color on my plate!
Greek Barley Veggie Salad with or without chicken
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 rotisserie chicken, chicken removed (optional- I made some with chicken and some just veggie)
- 2 cups uncooked pearl barley (I used 10 minute barley)
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1 diced seeded cucumber
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cubed yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Remove white meat from the rotisserie chicken, dice chicken and set aside.
- Bring 4 cups broth to a boil in a large saucepan; add barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Cool.
- Combine barley, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, feta and onions in a large bowl.
- To prepare dressing, combine 3 tablespoons oil, rind, and remaining ingredients; stir well.
- Add chicken (if desired) to barley mixture; toss well.
- Dress the salad with the prepared dressing and mix.
- Cover and chill salad.
- Serve on whole wheat pita bread or with swiss chard. This would be great with a cool glass of Pinot Grigio
I’m off to catch this little lady who is going non-stop!