Happy Monday! We are coming off a very productive weekend in Chautauqua. Despite the 30 degree temperatures on Saturday morning, the boys were able to get the docks in and set up. It was chilly but they worked hard and fast and we had hot chili ready for them when they were done.
We did a lot of projects like taking wall paper off the back of a bookshelf in the playroom, painting some of the trim that was not done, and jack-hammering a random piece of concrete from the side of the house. We also made time for a 5.5 mile run to get us going on the marathon training guide.
It was a great kick off to summer weekend, even if it didn’t feel like summer!
For Dock Day, we usually have a big meal when the boys finish and this year was no exception. We were ready with chili, baked potatoes, mango black bean slaw, sandwiches and this fun springtime salad.
This salad tastes fresh and full of fun spring flavors. It works with quinoa, bulgur, freekeh, couscous or wheat berries. It’s easy to add other ingredients according to what you have!
Strawberry + Arugula Whole Grain Salad
Healthy Summer Quinoa with Strawberry, Walnuts + Arugula
- 2 c. bulgur, cooked as directed in 4 c. water with 2 bullion cubes – makes about 4 c. cooked bulgur or more
- 2 c. (very loosely packed) fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 c. baby arugula, chopped
- 1 – 2 c. cut strawberries
- 3/4 c. crumbled feta – more or less according to your liking
dressing: blush wine vinaigrette
(make dressing but you may not use all of it, add as much as you’d like)
- 3/4 c. Brianna’s Blush Wine Vinaigrette – shaken well – (white bottle with a strawberry on it – at most grocery stores)
- 1/3 c. red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves – minced or pressed
- 1 T. honey
- salt and pepper
- Make bulgur as directed adding bullion cubes to water when cooking.
- Chop spinach + arugula and strawberries
- When bulgur is done cooking, let it cool.
- When bulgur is cool, add crumbled feta, arugula, strawberries and spinach.
- Mix with dressing and serve!