I am not sure where this fall is going! How is it almost November? How is it going to snow this week? How is it about time to be Halloween?
Last week was packed full of visitors (Allison + Morgan from Switzerland and Janelle from St. Louis), and a big birthday that puts me into a new age bracket. So in an effort to cut down on work and energy spent in the kitchen, I made a big pot of soup one night.
I wanted something warm, healthy and done ahead of time.
I wanted to be able to focus my time and energy on these girls (and Baby Kate)- especially since it was Emmy’s 2nd birthday.
So I made a recipe I had been wanting to try from Gimmesomeoven.com. I changed it to fit our needs and was not disappointed.
Easy White Chicken Chili
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken, or rotisserie chicken white meat
- 1 1/2 cans of white beans (Great Northern), drained
- 1/2 can of white beans, pureed with liquid from beans in a small blender or Magic Bullet
- 2 jars salsa verde, *make sure you like the taste of the salsa you choose!
- 1.5 Tbsp. ground cumin
- salt + pepper
- fresh cilantro ** important to add a new dimension of flavor to soup!
- diced avocado
- shredded cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
- In a large pot, add chicken, broth, whole beans,cumin and salsa. Heat on medium heat.
- In a small blender, blend 1/2 can (or more) of white beans until pureed. Add bean puree to soup pot.
- Heat for 20-30 minutes without bringing to a boil.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and other fun toppings!!