I have found that since I had Kate, I can’t get enough chocolate. So when my sister-in-law, Janelle, came in town last week and suggested we make Puppy Chow for my brother-in-law, I was all about it. Puppy Chow is one of those things that takes me back to when I was younger. My mom and I would make it for special occasions, like birthday parties or family get-togethers. It was not something we made often, since she was never into serving us chocolate on top of peanut butter and coated in sugar, thankfully. But I can still picture the recipe we used, smuged with my chocolate fingers.
In an effort to be outside of the box, Janelle and I decided to try a new type of Puppy Chow. We figured there was no way it could disappoint (how can you go wrong with Oreos?) so we had nothing to lose. Thanks to Sally’s Baking Addiction, we had lots of ideas. We made the S’mores mix and the Cookie’s + Cream Mix. Both were as good as you can imagine. So good in fact, that we packaged it all up and delivered it to friends and neighbors, but not before reaching our quota on sweets.
Cookies and Cream Puppy Chow
(adapted from sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- 10 cups of Chex cereal - I used New Vanilla Chex cereal for something fun!
- 1 c. chocolate chips (with 1 T. coconut oil to help melt) or 3/4 c. almond bark (chocolate made to melt)
- 1 c. white chocolate (with 1 T. coconut oil to help melt) or white almond bark
- 12 Oreos, crushed.
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, divided in half (3/4 c. for each part of the puppy chow)
- Start by getting out two large bowls. Put 5 c. of Chex cereal into each bowl.
- In a Ziploc bag, place the Oreos, and crush with a meat mallet or rolling pin, until cookies are broken down to fine pieces.
- Split the cookies into two batches and place half of the cookie crumbs in 1 Ziploc bag and half in another bag.
- Add 3/4 c. powdered sugar to each bag and set aside.
- When everything is set out and ready, melt the white chocolate and the regular chocolate in two separate bowls.
- Add the white chocolate to one bowl of Chex and the regular chocolate to the other bowl. Stir to combine and coat the cereal.
- While cereal is still warm from the melted chocolate, add it to the Ziploc bags.
- Shake each kind of cereal/chocolate mixture in the Oreos and powdered sugar until coated.
- When both are coated, mix them together in a large bowl.
Now, watch for the HHFit plan to be coming. I have started planning our post-baby get back in shape plan and am opening a challenge for the beginning of summer. Email me for more information.