Happy Spring Break (hopefully)!
Happy March Madness weekend!
Happy Week before Easter!
We are so excited that we made it to Friday and are packing our bags and getting ready for sunshine.
It’s been a long week and so tonight calls for an easy dinner. This is not just any easy dinner I am planning. This dinner is good enough to be served at a party and totally customizable.
It’s perfect for kids. For an appetizer when hosting guests. For Lent (meat free!). For company. For fun. For a busy night. For 1 or 4 people. For you.
Spinach, Pesto and Roasted Red Pepper Pizza Bread
- 1 loaf of bread doug, thawed (store-bought or homemade, whole wheat or white)
- 2 c. of spinach
- 3/4 – 1 c. of feta cheese
- 1. c. part skim mozzarella
- 3 T. pesto
- 3 T. roasted red pepper dip (from Trader Joe’s – a low calorie dip made of peppers + eggplant)
- 1 egg + 2 tsp. oregano, salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400*
- Let bread dough thaw until it can be rolled out onto a greased cookie sheet in a large flat piece.
- In the center of the dough – in a long line down the middle of the pan, spread pesto + roasted red pepper dip.
- Cover pesto + dip with spinach.
- Top with cheeses.
- Carefully lift the left side of the dough and fold it to the middle covering at least half of the mixture.
- Fold the right side of the dough over to meet the other side and cover the rest of the filling.
- Gently press the dough together to seal it.
- Being very careful, flip the pizza roll over so the seam is on the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix egg with oregano + salt + pepper.
- Brush egg mixture over the bread to give it crunch and shine.
- Allow bread to sit for a few minutes before baking at 400*
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bread is cooked through and browned.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting or bread may fall apart
- add more veggies – roasted leftover veggies or sauteed onions and mushrooms
- change up the cheeses – try goat or parmesan or asiago
- change up the flavor – use an olive tapenade to make a greek bread
- add meat – pepperoni or cooked chicken