Warning: getimagesize() [function.getimagesize]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/content/07/5418807/html/wp-content/themes/freshnews/functions/admin-functions.php on line 643
Warning: getimagesize() [function.getimagesize]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/content/07/5418807/html/wp-content/themes/freshnews/functions/admin-functions.php on line 664
Cozy, quick and healthy comfort food that fits the red and green theme of the month.
Even if you aren’t sure if you are a huge fan of Indian, I suggest you give this a try. There are tons of great flavors and you can add as much spicyness as you like!
slightly adapted from Prevention RD
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
1 (15 oz) can whole tomatoes, with their juices
1/2 cup water
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 oz baby spinach
1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté over medium heat until softened and beginning to brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the cumin, cayenne, turmeric, and garam masala.
- Cook onion mixture with spices for a minute or two, then add the tomatoes and juices.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the water and chickpeas.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, covered on low heat.
- During the last 5 minutes of simmering add the baby spinach and salt.
Another great bonus, this meal is inexpensive and can easily be adapted by adding chicken or changing the amount of spice.
Plus, it’s a great reason to have some naan! And who doesn’t love the fluffy goodness and slight crunch of warmed naan.
To make a more complete meal, serve with garlic green beans and quinoa.