This is the salad of the summer.
The salad I will make for parties and cookouts. The salad I will make for a friend in need. The salad I will make just to lick the dressing up with my finger. The salad that can easily be made for chicken or a tofu lover.
Thai Crunch Chicken Salad
[adapted from How Sweet It Is]
serves about 4-6 big portions
1 (or 2 if you want to serve more people) rotisserie chicken, chicken meat removed and shredded
dressing + sauce
1 (or 1 bottle 6-7 oz) cup sweet chili garlic sauce
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 cup lite canned coconut milk
6 tablespoons brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, depending on your preference)
2 teaspoon-sized knobs of ginger, grated
2 limes, juiced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Mix chili sauce, vinegar, coconut milk, sugar, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, soy sauce and lime juice in a saucepan, whisking to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Once sauce has thickened, pour half of the sauce over the shredded chicken and stir to coat.
- Save remaining sauce to dress the salad with or lick with your finger.
1 head of napa cabbage, chopped
1/2 small red cabbage, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1 large cucumber, peeled, sliced and quartered
2/3 cup shredded carrots
1 cup (or 1 bag of frozen) shelled edamame
1 can of chickpeas, drained
1 bunch or (2/3 c.) torn fresh cilantro
2/3 cup chopped peanuts
- Chop all salad ingredients except for edamame, chickpeas and peanuts.
- Mix together in a large bowl while adding chickpeas, peanuts and edamame.
- Serve with tofu (baked at 425 for 15 min. coated in dressing) or chicken on top.
- Dress and enjoy!
I already can’t wait to make it again.