What are you up to today? It doesn’t feel like Thursday and it doesn’t feel like the weekend is approaching. I still feel like we are in the middle of things and haven’t reached that downhill point yet. Hopefully by tonight I will have that feeling.
This week I needed a healthy meal for Anna that would be easy to reheat. I immediately turned to a favorite – Mac & Cheese. It’s simple to make, full of protein and is easily gobbled by little fingers (and big fingers for that matter).
Full of low-fat cottage cheese and whole grain pasta, this dish can keep those little legs moving.
Plus it has a secret ingredient: pumpkin. It adds a little extra something to the creamy texture and is undetectable. It’s usually served with a side of puzzle or Playdough.
Healthy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb. of cooked elbow noodles – whole grain, high fiber, gluten free or pasta plus all work
- 1 large container of low-fat cottage cheese (24 oz.)
- 1 container of sour cream (16 oz.) – low-fat, reduced-fat work best
- 1 c. pure canned pumpkin
- 1 c. 2% cheddar cheese (or more if you’d like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta as directed.
- Mix cottage cheese, sour cream, pumpkin and cheese together.
- Place noodle mixture in a baking dish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until noodles are bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Uncover and bake for a 5-8 more minutes.
- Serve warm