Can you think of a healthy, delicious, gourmet and super easy dinner that consists of only 6 ingredients? It’s not a very easy task, but when you combine the right 6 ingredients with a few simple cooking techniques, you have perfection!
As part of the AMEX Dinner @6 Contest (part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program), I put together this fantastic dinner.
When thinking about the meal I was going to create it had to meet the following personal criteria:
simple to make
include most major foods groups
The 6 ingredients I chose to use in the challenge were:
1. Salted Macadamia Nuts: They are rich, flavorful and full of amazing texture and taste. They also pack a healthy dose of fat and crunch.
2. Wild Alaskan Cod: This meaty white fish takes on any flavor while staying firm and fresh tasting.
3. Brown Rice: Full of fiber, brown rice takes on flavor and is easily enhanced with other ingredients.
4. Black Beans: Not only are black beans rich in protein, they are great for digestion. Black beans and rice pair to make a creamy flavorful and healthful side.
5. Frozen Leafy Greens: This bag contains a mix of kale, spinach, swiss chard and mustard greens. Any one of the greens listed above would also work in the dish, but I like the combination. The greens add major health value, vitamins, and another texture to the dish. They complete the meal.
6. Lite Coconut Milk: To tie this dish together and make it rich, creamy and exotic, I chose coconut milk. The flavor of coconut is mixed throughout the rice and beans, and also with the sweet and salty fish/nut combination.
Macadamia Crusted Cod over Coconut Black Bean Rice
- 1 large piece of Wild Alaskan Cod or another mild, firm white fish
- 1 cup of black beans, drained from can
- 1 cup of frozen leafy greens
- 1 can of lite coconut milk, split into 2 parts
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 cup of macadamia nuts, crushed
- In a rice cooker (or large pot), mix black beans, greens, 1 cup. coconut milk, brown rice, frozen leafy greens and 1 cup of water. Add a good helping of salt and pepper. Set and turn on rice cooker.
- While rice/beans are cooking, pour the remaining coconut milk into a small bowl. Pour the cup of crushed macadamia nuts into a separate bowl.
- Dip each piece of fish into the coconut milk then the macadamia nuts and place the encrusted fish onto a baking dish.
- Bake the fish at 425 for 15-20 minutes, until fish is cooked through and nuts are golden brown.
- When rice/beans are done, place a serving on a plate. Top with warm, nut crusted fish.
Steps 2 & 3:
The finished product is a rich and creamy dish filled with healthy fats, fiber, veggies, protein and flavor. It’s the perfect dish to make for a movie night or a fancy dinner party! With the help of the rice cooker, this dish comes together with only 3 dirty dishes and less than 30 minutes!
It would taste great paired with a fun Caribbean cocktail or a warm fall beer. Anyone from 1 year olds to grandparents can enjoy the light yet rich flavors of this meal.
Next time you come over for dinner, I will make it!
As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received an American Express gift card.