Extra Lean Beef Sloppy Joes
adapted from a Rachel Ray and an Everyday Food recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef ( 92% lean)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Montreal Seasoning – or steak seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon worchestshire sauce
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 4 wheat rolls
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add meat and chopped onions to the pan. Spread the meat around the pan and begin to break it up.
- When the meat has browned, reduce heat to medium
- Add tomato puree, seasonings, sugar, ketchup and mustard to pan. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat and cook mixture 10-15 minutes longer.
- Using a large spoon, pile sloppy meat onto bun bottoms and cover with bun tops.