Cucumbers and little known methods to defend against type 2 diabetes
Do you think you’re cool as a cucumber? Not only is the cucumber known for it’s capability to cool-down our bodies, it has additionally been recognized to assist with jaundice, diarrhea, epilepsy, sore throat, conjunctivitis (redness of the eye) and swelling of extremities.
Often you should try to deseed the cucumber as the body can have trouble digesting the seeds. You can deseed them yourself easily by cutting them in half and ultizing a spoon to eliminate the seeds or in order to eliminate this task it is possible to buy cucumbers that are already seeded.
Fresh cucumbers are simple to add to salads and for an easy salad just toss diced cucumbers with sliced red onions, red tomatoes and your favorite all-natural, low-fat balsamic vinaigrette. This is a fast way to make a refreshing salad that reaps some great benefits of cucumber.
Anti-diabetic Benefits of Cucumber:
Beta cells within the pancreas produce the hormone insulin.Cucumber is found to get a hormone required by the beta cells in the insulin production. Moreover, the Glycemic Index of cucumbers is found to be zero.
Why Cucumbers have not a glycemic index listed? Does this imply that they don’t raise blood sugar?
No. It only denotes that under the “rules” for the meaning of the glycemic index, it is too hard to get an accurate number. It is because you’ll need to eat a very big amount of the food to get 50 grams of carbohydrate at a time to be tested. Usually, the lower the amount of carbohydrate in a vegetable and the more fiber it has, the less the rise in blood glucose will be.
The carbohydrates are primarily responsible of the raise of the glucose level.However the carbohydrates present in the cucumber are easily digestible in a diabetes patient’s stomach.
Suggestions for Preparing Cucumbers:
Unwaxed cucumbers need not be peeled but need to be washed before cutting. Cucumbers can be sliced, diced or cut into sticks.
A couple Quick Serving Ideas:
– Use half-inch thick cucumber slices as petite serving “dishes” for chopped vegetable salads.
– Mix diced cucumbers with sugar snap peas and mint leaves and toss with rice wine vinaigrette.
– For refreshing cold gazpacho soup that takes five minutes or less to make, simply purée cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers and onions, then add salt and pepper to taste.
– Add diced cucumber to tuna fish or chicken salad recipes.
Cool Cucumber Salad Recipe:
– 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
– 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
– 1/2 red onion, sliced paper-thin
– 1/3 cup minced cilantro
– 1/2 cup rice vinegar
– 2 tsp. honey
– 2 tsp. Reduced-sodium soy sauce
– 1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
– Pinch dried red pepper flakes
Preparation per 8 servings:
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Marinating time: one hour
1. Combine the cucumbers, carrots, red onion, and cilantro in a large bowl.
2. Combine the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over cucumbers, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Salad might be eaten using a fork.
Nutritional Values per Meal: 1/2 cup
– Calories: 25
– Calories From Fat: 10
– Total Fat: 1 gram
– Saturated Fat: .1 gram
– Cholesterol: milligrams
– Sodium: 50 milligrams (without added salt)
– Total Carbohydrate: 5 grams
– Dietary Fiber: 1 gram
– Sugars: 3 grams
– Protein: 1 grams
The author: Suzanne Ault shares knowledge for the www.diabeticdietrecipes.org, her personal hobby internet site centered on cooking ways to stop diabetic issues.
My Complete Bio: http://www.diabeticdietrecipes.org/about
My Photo: http://www.diabeticdietrecipes.org/suzanne.jpg