It was tough to get out of bed this morning. It was cold out and the snow was falling. Needless to say, I did not make it to the gym this morning or at all today. I came home from school after stopping at the Post Office to send a few fun packages, including Super Charge Me cookies for the winning bidder of Healthy Ashley’s bake sale. Then I stopped at the paint store to pick up the paint we picked out for the baby’s nursery. It is a light sagey green – I hope I like it. When I told Brady how I was worried I might not like it and maybe we should wait to buy it, he reminded me that I would be asking him to repaint it if I didn’t like it – whether it was now or next month, so he thought we should get the process started. We will see!
I got home and decided to make soup/stew. Brady wanted something with hot Italian sausage in it, and I wanted something warm and cozy. There have been so many fun soup recipes in the magazines lately, especially in Fitness and Clean Eating! I decided to try a modification of the Clean Eating Quinoa Minestone soup. Here is what I did for my meal:
- 1 potato diced
- 1 c. lentils – cooked until almost done
- 1/2 bunch of celery choppped, including the leaves (they have great flavor)
- handful of carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped (I used all of the white part and a little into the green)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1c. frozen spinach, chopped
- 1/3c. uncooked quinoa
- 2 boullion cubes
- 1 cube of frozen fresh garlic from Trader Joe’s
- 1 cube of frozen fresh basil from Trader Joe’s
- 1/2 can of white kidney beans
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes with juice
- salt and pepper
Chop all of the veggies up and cook together! Add seasonings and spices while it is cooking. Stop cooking when the veggies are as tender as you like them! Sorry for the poor instructions tonight, just throw everything in the pot and it will taste good.
Enjoy with toast and hot chocolate!
I added a few more potatoes to Brady’s along with his hot Italian sausage.
Leftover for lunch tomorrow!